The imposing basilica built in the Romanesque style around the year one thousand has a sober and elegant façade; the different color of brick testifies that the Cathedral has undergone changes over the centuries.
In the lunette above the entrance there is a modern mosaic depicting St. Vicinio with episcopal miter and the famous "chain".
The interior of the Basilica is solemn and austere: the ceiling is trussed and a Latin cross, with the wide central aisle exactly double the aisles.
Of particular note inside: a baptismal font, difficult to date, at whose corners protrude stylized heads of goat; a valuable pulpit of the century. XII, the Franco-German style on which the symbols of the four evangelists are represented; one of the finest paintings of the cathedral, "The Mass of St. Gregory the Great", attributed to the Bolognese painter Carlo Cignani in sec. XVII
The Chapel of St. Vicinio
The chapel closed the right aisle and seems to be detached from all the Church's consistent with its decorations in gilded stucco, commissioned in 1755 by Bishop Paul Calbetti.
Under the altar the relics of St. Vicinio are preserved, while the "chain" is kept in the tabernacle.
Si ringraziano per la cortese concessione delle loro fotografie:
Comune di Bagno di Romagna, Cooperativa Atlantide, Pier Luigi Ricci, Massimo Schiumarini, Caterina Rigoni, Federico Locatelli, Mattia Vesco, Miriam Narducci, Nevio Agostini