On the Corzano hill, 678 meters above sea level rises an ancient castle that belonged to the Counts Guidi. The ruins show some parts of the walls, part of the Keep and a large tank E 'an impressive and safe construction, of which there are mentions at the beginning of 1100 and which is fully described in the fourteenth century by Cardinal Anglic. During its history he withstood various vicissitudes and achievements even after annexation in Florence. In 1454 it became the seat of the "Captaincy of the Val di Bagno" and lost its importance, to the looting suffered by the direct Lanzichenecchi the "Sack of Rome" in 1527 when it was reduced at present. The remains of the castle town in the mid-nineteenth century were used for the construction of the still existing Sanctuary and perfectly restored.
The Sanctuary of the Madonna of Corzano is located just downstream of the castle and was built to house the fresco of the "Madonna and Child with Saint Catherine of Alexandria", the painting of the fifteenth century found in the ruins of the inside of the castle church. Thanks to the invocation of his protection from the people, the painting is statp attributed the miracle of the termination of the 1835 earthquakes.
The sanctuary, since its inception has been inhabited by a "hermit" (Hermit), that a layman who guarded by working there and collecting alms, a tradition continued until the eighties of the last century.
Si ringraziano per la cortese concessione delle loro fotografie:
Comune di Bagno di Romagna, Cooperativa Atlantide, Pier Luigi Ricci, Massimo Schiumarini, Caterina Rigoni, Federico Locatelli, Mattia Vesco, Miriam Narducci, Nevio Agostini